Sunday, July 19, 2009

Common Objections to Homeschooling Part 2

3) I am not organized. Can a disorganized mom homeschool? Yes, I am living proof!

Organization has never been my strong suit, although I am always striving to improve. I think homeschooling gives the mom a lot more to organize, so one has to constantly work on this character trait.

My suggestions come in three different areas. First of all, I need to be at the top of my game. That means I have to concentrate on my own spiritual and emotional development. I do this by making sure I have a regular, daily prayer time. This is usually in the morning before my children are awake. Then I make sure I have adequate rest, nutrition and exercise. Regular date nights with my husband are important to maintain communication. Sometimes I am so busy, these activities go by the wayside, but then I feel it. I get more disorganized, disconnected and grumpy.

Next on my list is getting the housework done. Menu planning is essential to keep everyone fed. I have my menus planned before Monday morning. That way I have started defrosting or early prep by 10 am. each day. Since I plan my menu before I shop, it cuts way down on unplanned grocery tips.

I have also used flylady.org to help me keep focused on what needs to be done each day. In addition, I have a daily schedule for me and daily chore lists for each child. I really like Terri Maxwell's books Managers of their Homes and Managers of their Chores for her system of managing a large household. Other people really like A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot.

For homeschooling I maintain daily schedules for all family members. Lesson planning is also a must for the best experience. Although in very stressful times I have been know to fly by the seat of my pants. (I suffered through many pregnancies with premature labor and one of my sons had leukemia). Adequate record keeping especially for high school is essential.

These ideas would make for the ideal situation. Most moms do not manage to do all the the above suggestions, but keeping focused helps everywhere.

I recommend first year homeschooling moms drop almost every extra activity they do in order to readjust. Homeschooling is a different way of life that requires adjustment. Homeschooling is a full time job.

No comments: